[nfbcs] Java Accessibility was RE: Why Java? was: Software Developer position open

majolls at cox.net majolls at cox.net
Wed Oct 3 16:11:21 UTC 2012

OK ... I should have stated that a Java application will work with screen readers if the User Interface in Java is written using the appropriate class of controls that sends out the appropriate UI accessibility information.  I believe SWT is one such set of UI components.  It has been my experience in industry, however, that developers in the corporate environment are interested in speed, performance, etc, and unfortunately accessibility with them takes a back seat if it impacts that model.  At our shop, developers have said that they don't want to write the UI's in SWT because ... I'm getting this second hand ... performance is sluggish.  Therefore, they worked with other classes of UI components.  And I'm pretty sure ... this has been a few years ago ... that their UI controls chosen did NOT send out the necessary information like SWT did.  Therefore, the Java UI was not, as I recall, accessible.

That's what I'm talking about.  If care isn't exercised and the UI isn't written using controls which support accessibility, you're not going to get it.  And that's the downfall.  If your developer doesn't use the correct classes, you may find yourself out in the cold.