[nfbcs] Networking Solutions?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon Oct 8 02:17:19 UTC 2012

Jim,

I use Dropbox to share a number of different kinds of files between my computers, a desktop and a laptop, because they are shared whether or not I am
on the same network or not.  Still, if this approach does not sound good to you, then we probably need to understand better what you are trying to do.
Actually sharing programs between two computers is very iffy.  However, it certainly is possible for two computers to access folders on each other's hard
drive without needing to put files in a particular folder as one does with Dropbox.  You should be able to do what you want.

Sharing e-mails on two machines can be done, too, but there are alternate ways of doing that.  One approach is to you "IMAP" which is a way of storing
e-mails in folders on the e-mail server instead of on your computer.  In that way, you can access messages and folders on either machine.  Not all e-mail
providers have IMAP, though.  You can also set one of your computers up to read your e-mail but leaving it on the server.  Then the other computer would
be used to delete e-mail, but you could read e-mail from both computers.  There are potential problems in setting up an e-mail program to use e-mail folders
directly on the other computer.  Assuming you could share them and also configure your e-mail programs, having two separate programs maintaining one
set of e-mails could cause problems.

Although networking is possible, exactly how it is done depends some upon which operating systems you use.  Also, if you share a broadband internet
connection using a router, you already have a network and it is just a matter of setting up sharing and mapping drives and such.  Exactly how you do that
depends upon which versions of Windows you are running.

If you don't have a router and don't share an internet connection, you can connect two computers together, but I am not as familiar with how that is done.
What would help us is to get a better idea of what you want to do, and whether the computers are always connected together.  For example, if you have
a laptop and a desktop and want to share documents, the desktop documents won't be available on your laptop when you are disconnected.  That is
where Dropbox and similar systems are nice because you share common folders, but there is a copy on each machine so they don't have to be
connected to access the files in the common folder.  They have to be connected to Dropbox, of course, before changes made to the file on one
computer can be propagated to the other.

Don't let some of the responses here put you off.  However, explaining your two computers and what connectivity they already have might help us give
you better answers.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson