[nfbcs] Career Advice

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Oct 11 17:36:48 UTC 2012

Hmmm, guess I'm lucky.  I don't routinely put in overtime.  I'm on call
every 5 or 6 weeks, but the oncall has gotten a lot better over the years.
 Once in a while, I'll have to put in some extra work for a go-live, but
it's unusual.
The hospital I work for has used the same system for about 15 years, so I
haven't had to learn anything really new. We are moving to a new system,
but I have had time to learn the language we'll be using in between
projects for the current system.
There are definitely things that aren't accessible, but, so far, the boss
and I have found work-arounds. But they did just recently become
inaccessible; it might be a different story if I couldn't do them from the
beginning.
And, though I read slower than a sighted person, and can't take in a whole
screen at a glance, I know how to use Find and such to get the info I need
fast enough.
It is important to have excellent skills, both as a programmer and a blind
person.  I've been at my job almost 25 years.  I might not be able to get
a job anymore at an unrelated business, but I feel confident that I could
get one in my field, if I wanted to. But I expect to be where I am until I
retire.
I have a friend in another programming shop, and his experience is pretty
much like mine.  Looks like for once I came into something at the right
time.
Tracy