[nfbcs] Career Advice

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 11 20:05:54 UTC 2012

While I am not a programmer anymore, many of these things ring true for me. One of the hardest parts of my job was to see a new piece of software introduced and find that, while it made everyone else's job easier, it made mine harder. Finding workarounds was something I had to do every week. And yes, staying up with new trends in programming is important. People will try to get you to maintain the legacy systems rather than immediately confronting the new technology they are trying to use, but down that road leads unemployment. Sometimes you have to force your way into the new technology while at the same time accepting the role you have been given supporting the legacy stuff. And always, always, always, a lot of training time has to take place at home. I think a 40 hour week is a good work standard to have, but I have seldom worked one. Working as the editor of the Braille Monitor is in many ways the same in terms of work hours, but I think that goes with the territory if you're talking about a salaried job.

Gary