[nfbcs] Career Advice

Anonymous blindhelpfultech at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 18:41:25 UTC 2012

I have learned the lesson over time that personal story written by
someone on the list is so true. I had many people point out to me and
this is sad in a way, but I guess has been the problem. When people
tell you just to use your vision to get by, it is fine until you don't
have the option of giving up or trying your best, for me that has
never been good enough. I am moving out soon and in ways from what my
friend stated you are using more ideas that they give you for complete
blindness. I looked into what and how I was going about things before
I learned the light went on in my head that maybe just seeing is not
good enough anymore. I have a really long personal story to go along
with this. I am sorry in advance for the long email.

Starting my 8th grade year, I noticed that I could not read the board
in school, even if I was about 2 feet or less away from it. I know
braille enough to pick up on what I have lost so far, thankfully that
is the case. I learned it my 4th grade year in about one year and it
was at one point faster then my print reading. That was until I hit my
6th grade year and "I thought I just did not have the time." In all
truth looking back on it, I did not think I was going to need it. As
one would think well my vision is fine now and what is the need for
it?

When I  was in fourth grade due to my eye condition, I lost all the
remaining eyesight in my left eye and according to my family I did not
even tell them. My eye condition is very rare and if you get it before
your ten from what I read you have a 50/50 chance of having no
eyesight. Growing up in school, I was always told use your eyes and I
would always recant I am using them to the best of my ability.

I started working with computers when I was about 9 around my 8th
grade year, my family and I could not put two and two together about
why I would go through one computer system, every 3 months. In some
shape or forum it would be unusable. I kept claiming, I know what I am
doing and they would always say then why do we have to get another
system repaired again. They also stated and you want to go into IT? I
said of course technology has been a huge tool in my life and I enjoy
it a lot. They would always say good luck getting a job with braking
tech all the time.

. My freshman year and maybe my whole life. When no one was reading
things to me.  I had to take a test without anyone reading it and I
mainly played fill in the gap and hope what I am replying is right. At
least well my aid was away, school became a nightmare.

 My soft more year in high school, my left eye kept watering and they
kept saying it is allergens and I kept saying then why does it feel
like you just sliced my eye with a knife in many spots and why does it
keep watering. It got worse and worse. Well after four months of
debate and many eye doctor visits, I found out my eye was dying in my
head and I had two options. Mind you, I was only 16 at that time and
it felt like a huge choice and I just didn't want to regret the option
I made. The two options were remove the eye, have another surgery and
wait 6 months and maybe it would not even work. I said to my mom on
the way to the eye doctor before I knew my two options. "why the heck
do I even have this eye, I can't see out of it and it constantly
causes pain and problems" "What good is it doing for me being there
anyway?" I ended up getting rid of it and just being done with half
the eye problems.

Shortly after this problem, this happen in reply to my actions and statements.

10th grade year I was just about ready to pull my hair out as it
seemed,  I kept telling people I can't read or see that or it is to
far away or just email me the darn thing. I kept getting the reply
"you could see that last year". I kept saying well it is not last year
now is it, it is a new year with new things and maybe new things I
can't read. After that remark I was told by my mom once I said I feel
like I am missing a lot more then I use to. She said, I agree and some
of the evidence is your emails that don't turn out with right spelling
and missing words in the middle of what statement you are typing. She
said to me just wait, in a day we have a low vision evaluation. I said
ok and I was also not thinking or knowing what she meant by that, but
I just went with it.

The light went on for all of us once he said your "legally blind" and
I said what does that mean to me other then just another term. He said
well it means a lot in services and might have been the reason why you
broke things and could not read much. After that happened I went down
to the center in Kalmazoo for a combined 6 and a half months with the
summers, I spent there.

The first summer may I mind you I spent the first 4 weeks, killing
myself over the darn keybourd test, why I did not understand. It was
the numbers and the shift options, I kept missing or mixing up. After
getting that down.

The second summer I walked into my class again. I walked into my
technology class and he said after looking at how I use the computer
on a normal day with nothing extra to help. Your eye looks like it is
going to fall out of your head with the amount of strain and I said so
it was not just me skipping around and missing things. He said nope,
just someone who has never been told about AT? I looked at him and he
explained I had two options at that point, JAWS or ZoomText. After a
week I noticed that I just could not stand zoomtext, I told him well
first off if I need to I can use windows magnifier, but if I can't see
past that amount of zoom, I should be using JAWS anyway. He later
noted in my report the following:

1. The school never took the time to explain other options and I said
at one point, I feel like I am starting over with technology and using
AT. He noted that was very true and he understands that everyone feels
that way at first.
2.  I had a very visual understanding of windows, but give me jaws and
ask what a heading is, I would just ask him to explain.
3. I wanted jaws to prepare for the worst and I just wanted my
computer to look as normal as possible along with using something that
I will not have to relearn. If something happened.

I went home, started a great debate with my school after a year and a
half of fighting, I have access to jaws and a laptop.

A few things I would have never learned if I would have not wanted to
know how things work:
HTML  and W3C guidelines Alone with windows shortcuts that I never
heard of before. Someone called me and said my mouse broke, can I shut
down the system, until I get a new mouse and I said sure you can and
walked them through it.

My teacher at school, I broke my computer. The whole desktop was
zoomed in and I said try hitting CRL and moving the mouse wheel and it
worked. She called IT they were sitting there, watching me walk
through it and they said I thought it was the video card, I never
thought of looking there. They left and said to her just ask nadia
before we get a phone call next time.

My point being I have learned after the third summer there "i am
faster when I am blindfolded vs looking at things. That was also noted
and it hit me, the problem is I had my eyesight doing everything it
couldn't.

I am now 19 and am starting to relize that braille is a priority just
as much as learning jaws was. I have only used jaws for 1 year and 6
months combined with a full copy and not just a 40 minute demo, but
for some reason I still get the phone calls asking things from people
who have been blind there whole life.

It has come to the point where I call places no longer saying I am
visually impaired, I say blind. It works better as they tend to be
more detailed and then I can ask my visual questions and most of them
will just say, you use to have more eyesight and still am a little bit
of a visual person and I say yes and end of phone call. When I started
saying that it was my way of accepting the fact that yes my vision is
not reliable for most things, I was trying to have it do what it could
not..

Some side notes: I walked into MCB the first summer and they said what
size font would you like your documents in and I replied 12. They said
well something here does not match. I said what do you mean? People
are telling you that that is as big as they can get things? I said
nope, I am just use to it. They said well do me a favor stop being use
to killing your eyes from here on out. I said ok and I at the age of
16 had no idea what they were trying to tell me. I now after meeting
someone and talking with them about it, he said to me they are trying
to kindly say, your not trying to kill your eye by doing what you were
use to here. I said something to the effect to them, well most of the
time I am told it can't be more then 3 pages you print. They said
well, here we do not give a care about the paper we go through as long
as we are not killing your eyes. I then from there am use to size 26
and when I walked back into school and said it is not big enough they
said "14 use to be ok, and I said well use to I was killing my eye
going by something I did not no any better." I said to my friend
awhile back, when I started using jaws for a year, I feel like maybe
my eyesight is not as bad. he said trust me it is, but you have
learned what strain is and what amounts you were doing when,   you did
not have anything bigger when you requested it. I went back to the
center and the notes were the following:
1. I think she has stopped using her vision as much and she is more
productive that way.
2. She seems to be ok with the facts now

Point just due to the fact of you being use to something does not mean
it was not killing your eyes to start off with. A good friend of mine
told me the following:

Size 14 ? He said "That is torcher" I said why? He said think about it
anything you are pushed to do that creates the amount of strain your
eye was under for 14 years and created pain is in my book the word
"torcher".

The top things a blind person has in their toolkit when getting a job
and keeping it is the following:

-Willingness to take work home with them and learn
-Happy to learn new things
-Advocate for themselves
-
Most of all motivation, it is different for each person, but part of
my motivation that people say they cannot seem to understand is.
-I want to be productive, but when I have time off, I don’t use it for
time off.
Example my summer job review, your always doing something on your time
off, I don’t understand. Do nothing for once. It is your day off why
are you still around doing things? “Even when there is “nothing to
do”, you find something to do.” I was always told even if there is no
“task to be done, there is always something else to be done” Most of
the time that is learning or making your job more effective.
-I want to learn new things; in fact, that is what I do in my spare time
-Kill myths and untrue things about blindness
-Help others
-Do the job to my best and find ways to do it better
-Insults are a challenge for me to do even better at things along with
degrading   terms
Example: you spend too much time on something =I find another way to
do it and do it as well.
Example: Your so picky it drives me crazy = be more picky and proficient
One thing that motivates me more than that though is learning new
things, I like to learn new things and say I learned myself. That for
some reason never is old.
Something that drives people nuts that helps me out a lot though is
being positive. Someone said to me why are you so happy all the
time??? I said, I may not be but why must I drag you down as well?

  Work ethic and willingness to learn gets you far and as one person
said "one thing blind people have going for them, is we are use to
challeges and having to overcome them. I agree with that as well.

With regards,
Nadia