[nfbcs] java again

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 19 15:19:06 UTC 2012

WRT our discussion of java last week, I had said on this list that somebody
told me that a lot of mobile apps were written in java. I had no real reason
to credit that but last night, I was talking to my wife about Google's
crummy earnings and I happened to mention the android operating system,
which, btw, is an open-source  linux fork. Anyway, I wikipediaed  android
and found  this interesting note:

Additionally, Android has a large community of developers writing
applications ("apps") that extend the functionality of devices, written
primarily in a customized version of Java.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

So learning java might not be such a bad career move after all. Hard to say.
Apple is so dominant in the mobile platform arena its hard to say which, if
any, of its competitors will be able to challenge it down the road. Google?
Microsoft?RIM? If I absolutely had to bet, I guess I'd bet on Google.