[nfbcs] Glink?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Apr 5 18:16:07 UTC 2013

Leslie,

What I found to be the case for me is that it is very difficult to get a screen reader to read the correct information when
interacting with another computer through a terminal emulator.  I say this for several reasons.  First, if one were able to hear
only what is new on the screen, one still often will hear too much.  Some applications clear the screen and then rewrite the same
information with a minor change, for example.  Second, what is correct for one application is not correct for another.  Third,
without a lot of scripting, one looses the ability to have the screen reader automatically load different scripts for different
applications on a remote computer because the screen reader is only seeing the terminal emulator as an application.  Scripts can
be written to detect an application by looking at certain parts of the screen, but there are so many ways this can fail that I
just have not found that to be worth it.

Generally, what has worked for me is to have keys available to read the line with the cursor, the line above, and maybe the second
line above.  Sometimes reading the top line might also be useful to read screen titles.

Having said all this, if you are running a specific piece of software on the remote computer most of the time, it might be
possible to tailor things a big more than this.  I also recognize that my experience may well not be helpful depending upon
exactly what you need to do, and I am also not familiar with the particular system you are using.  Still, I hope something here is
useful.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson