[nfbcs] web browser problem?

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Apr 19 14:30:35 UTC 2013

I'm not sure if this is a problem or not, or what to do about it.  I have
been having a problem with Google, where, the first time I get results and
choose a link, I get a bunch of ads instead of what I want.  The second time
I try, I get the link I want.  This is despite using various ways to be sure
I'm actually on the link I think I am, recommended by this list before.  I
think it is something called "click&jump".  Anyway, I disabled 3rd party
cookies, and installed Spybot Search & Destroy, which hunted out a number of
minor threats. The problem persists, but not as bad.
My question is this:
When I go to a website, I see a lot of what seem to me to be extra links,
which I bet would go to ads, if I clicked on them.
For example, on NFB Newsline Online, at the bottom, there is a bit that says
"contact by phone:" and the number.  For me, "phone" is a separate link.
This doesn't seem right, and it makes reading pages kind of a pain, since
there are a lot of lines with these odd links.
Another example is, if I'm reading the TV listings on Newsline, and, say,
the show description says "the team investigates an insurance salesman who
may be a serial killer", "insurance" will be a link.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and if it's a problem, and, if so,
what to do about it?
Thanks.
Tracy