[nfbcs] The first elevated-Pin Braille Smartphone Gets A Prototype

majolls at cox.net majolls at cox.net
Thu Apr 25 15:17:55 UTC 2013

Talking about an alternate possibility, it will be interesting to see if Tactus Technologies is true to their word and comes out with a touch screen that has Braille.  Tactus's technology is slightly different than the technology described below in that the surface of the tablet / phone has a layer of "liquid" or "plasma" that can be deformed at the surface so that it creates "bumps".  Then by deforming a small enough surface area, you could create a braille dot ... if that's possible.  This technology might be better than the idea in India .... that is if I'm reading it correctly ... because it doesn't use discrete "pins".  Correct me if I'm wrong ... the "pin packet" is piezo electric technology, and we already know that's expensive.  That's why the Tactus solution is so compelling ... they don't use discrete pins and they claim they can deliver a lower cost solution as a result of that.

But who knows, maybe the folks in India have really come up with something revolutionary that will break the price barrier that Braille technology has imposed up until now.  It will be interesting to see if this is all "smoke and mirrors" or if there's anything really there.

Personally, I say work on the Argus vision system and fix everyone's eyesight so they don't need Braille any longer.  Then we'd only have to worry about what color car we wanted.   Now wouldn't that be a problem to have, huh?