[nfbcs] NFB & narrator

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sun Aug 11 19:43:59 UTC 2013

As one who thought Microsoft shouldn't get into the full screen reader business, I have a couple of thoughts on this.  First, I do not remember any discussion of a lawsuit.  I also don't remember the NFB taking
an official position on this, either.  A number of us representing the NFB did express concerns with Microsoft developing and including a full screen reader with Windows.  At least from my point of view, my
concern with them doing that was not whether other screen reader producers stayed in business.  My concern was twofold.  I questioned whether Microsoft would understand or respond to our needs to the
degree that other screen reader producers were trying to do at the time, and I also wondered about Microsoft's ability to put time into making their screen reader work well with products that were in competition
with other Microsoft products.  I don't mean that they would be dishonest about it, but there are always limits to available resources and priorities that have to be set.  While I have not seen anything to this point
to cause me to feel this was the wrong position to take, I do not remember that the sentiment was strong enough to have threatened a lawsuit.

I am glad that Narrator is available to handle some tasks in Windows and I've depended upon it regularly.  However, I find that even with its limited functionality that it is still a good bit more sluggish than
Window-Eyes or JFW and even more than NVDA in some cases.  Having something that works sluggishly is certainly better than having nothing at all, but responsiveness is an important part of screen reader
functionality, particularly in employment situations.  Perhaps if Microsoft had developed a full screen reader, they would have given more attention to this, but I do not find responsiveness to be a characteristic
of most Microsoft products that I use.  They are also a company that is geared to dealing with broad markets, and I did feel some concern about their ability to deal with a small market such as ours.

John mentioned that NVDA proves that a free screen reader would not drive others out of the business.  I would disagree with that assessment.  As good as NVDA is, it isn't as fully functional as either Window-
Eyes or JFW.  To my knowledge, NVDA does not use an off-screen model and therefore does not work with some software that the others work with.  In my particular case, there are a couple of pieces of
software that I use every day on the job and some on-line courses that I can manage with Window-Eyes and I know also work with JFW that does not work with NVDA.  It is my recollection that Microsoft was
considering a complete screen reader, and not one such as NVDA that relies on newer technologies.  The need for an off-screen model has decreased over time and its role will continue to diminish.  I don't
really know what this might do to the picture in the long run, but this does change the role of screen readers to some degree.  We could see things evolve such that software developers will have to play by the
rules more and screen readers won't have to be quite so complex to work well.  It could also happen, though, that there will be a greater division between accessible software and software that is not
accessible with less of a possibility to find workarounds.  I am somewhat worried about what will happen to the accessibility of software, especially in employment settings in the private sector.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson