[nfbcs] Learning Windows 7

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Aug 15 21:59:03 UTC 2013

Tracy,

It is hard to know what to tell you because we're all different.  I can tell you that I learned Windows 7 on the fly and it wasn't
a big problem.  The largest impact on me is that Windows 7 changes greatly how one interacts with the Start Menu.  I was a heavy
user of the Start Menu to run programs in Windows XP.  Windows 7 has caused me to put more of the shortcuts that I use commonly on
the desktop, but that isn't a complaint.  It just means I had to change old patterns.  The Start Menu is now more of a tool for
looking for something when I'm not quite sure where it is, although I do still use it for some programs.  Windows Explorer is a
little different too, because you need to press enter on certain items like "Computer" to get the items in the associated list to
open.  In xp, when you arrowed through Computer", "documents" and such, the associated lists opened automatically.  Again, this is
not a complaint, but just something that is different.  All in all, I think you'll be all right depending upon what you use most
often.  I have found Windows 7 to be very stable.

A tutorial of some kind might clew you into things that are new that you might like to use.  For example, there is a way to "pin"
programs to the task bar that might be very nice, but I just have not taken the time to try it.  Others here can probably add to
this.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson