[nfbcs] Making website accessible

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Dec 2 18:57:25 UTC 2013

The inhouse web designers in my office are creating a new website where we
will be putting in all kinds of data on user requests.  I'm working with
them to make sure it's accessible, and, so far, it's not.
It works fine for a while, tabbing through fields and either typing or
checking boxes or selecting from a combo box.  But, when I select myself
as the assigned worker, the site refreshs, and Jaws says it's on the URL
address from then on.  I have tried switching to the Jaws cursor, finding
something inside the webpage, and yanking the cursor there using the
braille display.  That trick usually works, but not in this case.  The
only place I can yank the cursor to is a couple checkboxes at the end of
the webpage, and I can't get back to the place I need to be to put in more
information.
Oddly enough, the sighted person helping me sees the cursor where it
should be, but Jaws does not.
The inhouse guys are very willing to fix it, but they're not sure what's
happening, and neither am I.
I told them about accessible web guidelines, somewhere on the internet.
I'd be happy to pass along any ideas anyone might have.  I'm not a web
designer, so don't know anything about what might be wrong.
I am running Jaws 14 and IE8.  IE8 is still the most common IE here.
I'm not even sure if it's a Jaws problem or a website pproblem.
TIA.
Tracy