[nfbcs] Eclipse installation and setup for Python

Daniel danielgillen at rcn.com
Sun Jul 28 15:42:22 UTC 2013

Dear list members,

  I've posted to this list a few weeks back.  In case you don't
remember, I am Daniel Gillen, a rising college sophomore at
Haverford College in Pennsylvania.  As I will be taking an intro
computer science course this coming fall, I am in the process of
testing out software which we will be using to see how well it
works with JAWS.  That said, I have installed Eclipse, but have
trouble setting it up for Python.  I downloaded the Eclipse Juno
package called "Eclipse IDE for Java Developers".  From my
understanding, Eclipse is used mostly by those working in Java
rather than Python.  I have attached the instructions which I
found for setting up Eclipse to use Python, but they seem
outdated.  Please let me know if this is the case, or if there is
any more up-to-date, accessible way of completing the  setup
process.
  Also, I am still confused as to how to work with the
Accessible_Output interface for Python.  When I ran a sample
Python program and had Accessible_Output installed, Jaws could
only read the prompts of a program that came before the closing
one.  In other words, if the program was only designed to display
a single message (such as a "hello world" program), JAWS would
not read the output.  However, if it was one of those programs in
which you type in parameters to calculate a desired value, JAWS
would read all of the outputs that came before the final result
(at which point the program's execution would finish).  The main
point of this message is that I am spending much time during
these last few weeks of summer vacation preparing to enter
sophomore year with all the tools I would need to succeed.
Again, please let me know of any suggestions regarding Eclipse
and/or Python and accessibility with JAWS.

Thank you,
Daniel