[nfbcs] NFB in Computer Science 2013 Annual Meeting Announcement

Curtis Chong curtischong at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 23 18:01:06 UTC 2013

Greetings:

The 2013 meeting of the National Federation of the Blind in Computer Science
will take place on Wednesday, July 3, from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in
conjunction with the 2013 Convention of the National Federation of the
Blind.  This is an excellent opportunity for you to obtain up-to-the-minute
information about what commercial organizations such as AT&T, Comcast, and
Microsoft are doing to improve the ability of the blind to use the
technologies they produce and market.  You can also network with blind
people who are taking an active role in improving their ability to use some
of the complex systems and software of the day.

We have organized a panel of leading blind technology experts who will
discuss the future of nonvisual access for the blind.  How have we, the
blind, fared in terms of being able to use the same technologies as our
sighted peers?  At home, in school, or on the job, can we use the same
technology with the same efficiency as everybody else?  In the context of
technology, are things getting better or worse for us?  Is it true, as some
have claimed,  that historically, the blind have moved forward to achieve
technological parity with the sighted only to fall back as technological
developments in the broader society out-pace our ability to keep up?

Come to the 2013 meeting of the National Federation of the Blind in Computer
Science and network with your technically-minded colleagues.

Membership dues in the NFB in Computer Science are $5.  Even if you decide
that you do not want to join, you can pay your $5 and register for some
technology-related door prize, which will be drawn near the end of the
meeting.  One prize will be a 768 gigabyte Seagate USB-powered external hard
disk drive.

If you would like to know more about our upcoming meeting, please feel free
to contact me via email at curtischong at earthlink.net or via telephone at
505-508-1978.

Yours sincerely,

Curtis Chong, President

National Federation of the Blind in Computer Science