[nfbcs] FW: your advice would be appreciatedFW: [List] Handling

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Wed Jun 26 02:07:49 UTC 2013

Hm... My overall sense is that the prof is a bit out of line and that
the main concern is with having to make the exams, etc., accessible. It
sounds like this is a required course for the degree, though.

The student would need sighted assistance for the photo work and for
devising color schemes, and maybe to check layout. But most of that is
so mathematical that it can be done novisually with a text editor. I
miss Dreamweaver, but web design can be done without it! If you
understand the DOM and the box model, you can do the math and use good
coding practices, and there you have it. You'll want to have someone
give it a visual check, true. A lot of sighted professional designers I
know have someone check their designs over before going live, too. It's
just a good idea after you've been working on something too long. /smile/

It could be of benefit to the student to learn how the purely graphical
facets of web design work and the principles involved there. Even some
work with photos is mathematical, although I wouldn't want to just put a
photo I've processed up on the web without having a sighted person look
it over first! /lol/

I can't help seeing the arguments about the specific software as somehow
specious. It does sound like there has been an issue with that teacher
and student before on that score. If the purpose of the class is web
design and maintenance, then the principles are what is important, not
the exact tools.

Tami