[nfbcs] FW: your advice would be appreciatedFW: [List] Handling

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Wed Jun 26 16:04:16 UTC 2013

My quick thoughts on this one:

I think it is fair for the instructor to say in effect, "I don't know
how a blind person can do this." However, I do not think it is the
instructor's job or right to decide whether the student may try. It
will fall to the student, and whoever he may find for assistance, to
figure out possible ways to handle the problems in the course. The
student should find out what academic and technical expectations
exist. Academic examples: Books, chapters covered, items on syllabus.
Technical examples: Will students need to draw or interpret drawings,
diagrams, computer graphics or paper material that is not text? Can
alternatives to inaccessible software be agreed upon? Are any special
arrangements required for a reader to be able to help with in-class
work, homework, tests or quizzes?

Notice I said to check whether arrangements are necessary for a
reader, not to check whether a reader is ok. It is my understanding,
though I will accept correction, that a reader is legally permitted in
this setting and that this cannot be countermanded by an instructor,
college, or rehab system.

My interpretation of the instructor's concerns, as expressed in the
forwarded emails, is that the instructor, along perhaps with the
student, may have room for education on what a blind person can do.
The student, in my opinion, may freely decide whether this course is
worth pursuing and may expect the instructor to accept his decision.
The student may and may not be able to expect a lot of extra work from
the instructor; this I do not know. But again, I believe the final
decision as to whether to attend this course will rest with the
student and with no one else.

Again, corrections welcome if I'm off anywhere.