[nfbcs] JAWS scripting help requested for Remedy User client.

Louis Maher ljmaher at swbell.net
Fri May 10 22:41:23 UTC 2013

Folks,

The web-based Remedy can be quite accessible if you turn its accessibility
features on.  The program shipps with accessibility disabled.

My company calls the Web-based Remedy ITSM for IT service management.  To
turn the accessibility features on requires the help of an ITSM
administrator who can edit your profile.  I used ITSM in training last fall,
but I have not used it much since then.

Here are my rough notes on how to turn the accessibility in ITSM.  Remember
to call BMC for help if you need more help.
-----
"7603_Design Section 508 Applications.pdf  7604 Section 508 User
Accessibility Options White Paper.pdf.  From 7604 Section 508 User
Accessibility Options White Paper.pdf :   To ensure the best performance
when you use BMC Remedy ITSM products with
accessibility options, make sure that your software is configured correctly.

NOTE
You must have BMC Remedy AR System administrator permissions to change
these settings.
Configure your software as follows:
Set preferences for each accessibility user in the BMC Remedy AR System User

Preferences form. The accessibility options appear on the Accessibility tab.
Each
user must have a separate entry in the BMC Remedy AR System User
Preferences form.
>From the Accessible Mode drop-down list, choose Default, Screen Magnifier/
Low Vision, or Screen Reader/No Vision.
>From the Accessible Message drop-down list, choose No Action, Message
Action, or All Actions.
In the mid tier system that supports the deployed application, for the
Preference
Server setting, specify the server that contains the accessibility user
preferences.

Settings and software recommendations for using text-to-speech
readers

BMC Remedy IT Service Management 7.6.04

Configuring the JAWS screen reading software
This section explains the procedure to configure the BMC Remedy ITSM
applications to use the JAWS screen reading software.
To configure the JAWS screen reading software
1 Open the JAWS screen reading application.
2 Choose Utilities > Configuration Manager.
Make sure that the focus is on the Configuration Manager window.
3 Choose Set Options > HTML Options. In version 7.6.04, choose HTML Options.

Make sure that the focus is on the HTML Options dialog box.
4 Click the Links tab.
5 From the Text Link Options radio button group, select the Use Title Format

option. In version 7.6.04, select the Use Title option.
6 Click OK.
7 Close the Configuration Manager.
8 On the relevant dialog box, confirm the Save Configuration option.
9 If you are using JAWS 11, for each machine:
a Click Insert+Shift+V to open the Personalized Site Setting dialog.
b Under Link Settings, highlight the Filter consecutive duplicate links
option and
click Execute.
c Make sure the setting is set to Off.
"----

Note that JAWS 11 was invogue when this version of ITSM was shipped.

Our ITSM BMC technical support person was Ed Moreno.  I do not have any
current contact information for him.

Regards
Louis Maher
713-444-7838