[nfbcs] JAVA

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat May 11 14:01:55 UTC 2013

And exactly what will doing exercises prove?  This doesn't seem like an unreasonable question to raise, and issues for Java and blind people is somewhat
mixed and it would be incorrect to draw absolute conclusions from exercises.

How is the computer being accessed?  Specifically is a screen reader being used?  In general, I would say that JAVA is a language that blind persons can
program in and use, but there are limitations.  To take a course in JAVA might require that a reader be used to read the screen at some points.  As I
understand it, there are ways to develop JAVA code, but some JAVA programs are not handled well by screen readers.  It is probably fair to say that most
are not handled well.  There are ways of writing JAVA code so that the results are accessible, though, but whether these approaches can be used within
a course depends to a great deal on the course.  Since a course is a relatively short term problem, getting through a course using a reader is not a bad
alternative.  Someone programming in JAVA for the long haul will want to learn about accessibility.  To my knowledge, Eclipse is one development platform
for JAVA that blind people are using.  Certainly learning the language and creating JAVA code is possible, but testing one's code independently is
problematic.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson