[nfbcs] Google Accessibility was RE: evaluation display of a web page

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Tue Nov 5 00:29:37 UTC 2013

Wow, a lot to say here.

First, legally Google doesn't have to make its offerings accessible
yet.  This may change over time, but right now the only legal barriers
are for purchasers/providers.  For example, the federal government is
not supposed to purchase computer software that's not usable by people
with disabilities.

However, if Google wants their stuff to be accessible, they'll have to
help.  Basically, web app developers, browser developers, and screen
reader developers have to figure out a way to communicate
accessibility related information to amongst themselves.  There are
now standards (ARIA and WCAG 2.0) to smooth this along, and sometimes
Google adheres to them and sometimes they don't.

As someone mentioned earlier, one of Google's strategies is to build
the apps, browser, and screen reader themselves.  This is probably the
easiest for Google, but does have the strong disavantage of requiring
everyone to learn the Google screen reader (ChromeVox) to make use of
Google products.  Fortunately, this strategy is not embraced by all
of Google.

BTW, we haven't even touched on Android, where Google is also putting
a lot of accessibility effort, though not enough I'm afraid.

Take Care,

Jim