[nfbcs] You are amazing

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Sep 10 14:40:25 UTC 2013

Mike,

I think you will find that your experience is not at all unique.  The idea of being able to read with anything other than one's
eyes seems to amaze people beyond reason.  Then again, it is something that is not familiar to them.

Regarding lists, if you go to

which is the home of this list, you will find information on many lists, a number of which would welcome this topic.  Blind-talk
is a list for general discussion, but there is also the "NAPUB" list, a list of the National Association to Promote the Use of
Braille.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 07:13:17 -0500, Mike Jolls wrote:

>I know this is a forum on computer related topics, but I don't know of a general list where I can post this question, and I
wanted to pose this to other braille readers for an opinion.  If you would prefer that this not be discussed here, just let me
know and I'll take it somewhere else.

>I am a visually impaired braille reader.  I had my reasons for learning the skill such as realizing that my vision was terrible
and I knew I had to find some alternate method that might give me better reading speed.  I don't consider myself a "hero" or
anything like that because I read Braille.  It's just a tool.  I can read print, but I can't read it easily or quickly and I just
needed to try and find another method.  It just so happens that Braille is a good alternative.  And even though I read Braille,
I'm not the fastest reader.  I'm still working on that one.

>That stated, I am amazed at the number of normally sighted people that tell me "you're so amazing" when they see a sighted
(albeit partially sighted/visually impaired) person reading Braille.  It seems they think that learning Braille is some superhuman
impossible feat akin to climbing Mt. Everest that they couldn't possibly accomplish ... like it's a skill that only a select cadre
of gurus are capable of learning.  Sometimes I get tired of hearing the comment, but usually I politely say "thank you" and move
on.

>I'm just wondering if any of you have experienced this, and how you handle it?  What's your take on why people are so amazed?  It
seems logical to me.  Simply put ... when you have problems doing things the conventional way, you find a method that you can use
effectviely.  So what's the big deal?