[nfbcs] FW: Seeking feedback on IAAP certification roadmap

Aaron Cannon cannona at fireantproductions.com
Wed Apr 9 17:44:38 UTC 2014

Creating a meaningful certification exam would be tough.  On the one
hand, you could easily test someone's knowledge of ARIA.  However
there's a lot more to doing accessibility right than just knowing the
standards.  Good accessibility is a lot like good design.  You can
follow all the rules, and still get it totally wrong.

I don't buy the argument that a bad certification won't be required by
employers because it's bad.  If there is a certification, employers
will require it, period.  The reason is simply that employers are in
no position to make that determination, and they have a terrible track
record when it comes to things like this.  Yes, I'm generalizing, but
with good reason.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Aaron