[nfbcs] Assistance needed from Programmers

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 22 19:05:14 UTC 2014

I do not understand why a lot of code is an impediment to a coder whether
blind or sighted. The issue seems to be how much one can absorb rather than
how fast one can scroll through screens. Of course, if reading speed is 20
or 30 WPM, then reading is an issue. This emphasis on memorization is a
mystery to me. I did not memorize program code--I read it. Surely I could
become familiar with certain parts, but much of the code I saw, especially
as a new programmer, was new to me, and until they started letting me code
on my own, maintenance meant I dealt with something new every week.

It sounds like this programmer works for a company with well-established
procedures and tools that are simply inaccessible. Therefore, everything
they give him needs modification. This is a hard place for him and for them,
but it will likely not occur to them that the problem is not of his making
and not inherent to blindness. The problem initially was in procurement.
They demonstrate a willingness to provide accommodations, but the paradigm
is "You are the person with the special need. We will accommodate that
special need by purchasing special hardware and software. You will have to
tell us what it is, but we want you to succeed and we'll likely make the
purchase." There is goodness and kindness in this. I wonder, however, if the
issue of access doesn't have to go beyond this and embrace the idea that
access software, unless it is playing with software that has some awareness
of what accessibility means, simply isn't enough. Decisions as to what to
purchase should assign a weight for accessibility and it must be enough to
play a significant part in what the company buys and deploys. They need to
be concerned enough about the success of their employee to demand changes in
existing systems to move them toward meeting accessibility standards.

Lastly we get to the question of this person's talent. Where does he or she
shine? With a parttime assistant, could he do some of this work himself?

I hope others have and will chime in.