[nfbcs] JAWS and using RDP

Graham Mehl blind at trailstone.com
Sat Dec 13 10:53:57 UTC 2014

Greetings,

I started a new project at work where they are using a thin client
environment. I have overcome a number of difficulties, but there is one area
I have not been able to find a solution, and I hope you all might be able to
suggest a solution. I know and have JAWS 15 installed on my local machine
(on Windows XP soon to be Windows 7) and I have it talking to a remote
desktop (running JAWS 15 on a Windows 7 OS). RDP (remote desktop protocol)
is being used. With RDP a toolbar is presented at the top of the screen to
allow users to interact with the RDP sessions. As you all know you can hit
the keystroke combination control ALT Delete to get to a menu to lock screen
your computer. My question is how can you lock screen the remote desktop
computer and then later unlock the remote desktop? The fore mentioned
keystroke combination locks the local computer and not the remote desktop. I
know there is a a button on the RDP toolbar that simulates the 3 key
combination for the remote desktop, but In order to click the button I have
to literally see it to move the mouse to click it. And for us that are blind
using the mouse is pointless.  Any ideas are welcome.

-- Graham Mehl