[nfbcs] Sighted Assistance (was Re: namecheap)

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Sun Jan 19 17:15:27 UTC 2014

Everybody seems to want to draw their own circles around this topic.

Few people have sighted assistants at their beck and call.  Sometimes, there are things you could choose to do if you wanted more sighted assistants; pay them, barter with them, advertise for volunteers, etc.

However, my point was never that we should all work to have more sighted assistants, rather that we should not eschew sighted help when it is available.

Earlier in this thread,  Nicole Torcolini asked "So you are telling me that you think that it is acceptable to require sighted assistance in order to do something?" My answer is of course I think it's acceptable.  Like it or not, we live in a sighted world where not all things are blind-people friendly. Get used to it.

In certain circumstances, we may go after a particular industry to help make things better (ATM manufacturers, airlines, text book publishers), but this will not lead to a society where everything is blind person friendly.  As blind people, each of us should expect to need sighted assistance, know how to ask for it politely, and know how to accept it.

Carrying this back over to Gabe's original post.  Gabe plans to use a domain management website that doesn't care about the needs of blind folks.  In my opinion, Gabe finding a workaround in the form of a sighed employee is totally reasonable and makes good business sense.  But, assuming there are such, wouldn't it be better to vote with our dollars to support domain management websites that do care about the accessibility needs of blind persons?

Jim