[nfbcs] first programs?

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Tue Jan 21 01:59:45 UTC 2014

That's awesome. I've had a look at Fortran, but it didn't really seem
worth going farther with, just as something to do. I've since started
playing with Haskell, which is math oriented and has a lot of power
behind it and allows me to learn new paradigms.

Nicole: I wish we would've had classes like that in hs. I was at least
for the most part self taught. I'm hoping once I get to higher level
classes, things will start to get a lot harder--I honestly think that
will come in at more of the theory though rather than programming.

I'm not sure if today's programmers can be classified as kids that point
and click. Granted a lot of people do use higher level languages for
countless reasons, the two biggest being that they are easier to develop
in and most cost effective for larger corporations when such a language
will work, but the "point and click" I've usually seen is GUI design,
which still requires people to connect code to events. Otherwise you
have a pretty gui with no hooks under it to do anything.

I do however think that on a lower level, the high availability of
higher level languages is making for programmers who aren't exactly as
good as they should be. lack of understanding of low-level concepts
coupled with vast resources in terms of memory, CPU and disk space makes
people much more complacent when designing programs, or at least a lot
more complacent than some of the programmers were 20 years ago when
resources were a lot smaller and had to be managed with care. I think
though that this is also mainly due to a lot of computer science
curricula that places less importance on understanding these concepts
and more on being able to code effectively (or at least sort of
effectively) in a language like Java or c# that has a large portion of
use in large corporations, as well as the fact that we have such a vast
quantity of technology out there and it may be hard if not impossible to
require that a student has some of these concepts down well while also
covering database management, unix management, high level languages, web
development etc etc.