[nfbcs] first programs

Dave Mehtingerr davemehringer at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 26 12:24:46 UTC 2014

Cool stories. My first original program was written for my HS computer class in BASIC on a TRS80 that used cassette tapes for persistent storage and couldn't have had more than 512k of RAM. The program calculated the Cartesian coordinates of the position and velocity vectors of the (then) nine planets of the solar system at 1000 positions equally spaced on each elliptical orbit. The code took several hours to run and the resulting printout was probably at least 50 yards long. It was a great learning experience in managing very limited memory resources.