[nfbcs] Sonar or Vinux

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Fri Jul 25 14:57:07 UTC 2014

First point: Linux boxes are really really valuable to an attacker. they
are brute forced constantly and they are pretty frequently taken over,
either to install malware on the site, as an ssh launchpoint or anything
else. Your quote was a bit garbled, so I'm afraid you'll have to provide
a TL/DR version.

As to your point regarding firewalls, you say that it's only use is to
keep open services hidden, which protects the surface area of any
system. That is its' goal and that is what it does, along with rate
limiting and other various features that you mentioned. You can't write
that off as trivial because a smaller surface area is pretty damned
useful. How nice would it be if portmap and all the other crap that came
installed on Ubuntu by default was just hidden behind a firewall, or
even bound to loopback?

I'm not pushing Windows over Linux in terms of security. I'm just
pointing out that you, along with everyone else who thinks Linux by
default is faster and more secure are delusional. They both have their
pros and cons, but to just run stock Linux and then "know" that you're
hackerproof is incredibly insane. I have to laugh every time I see this
idea, because people are selling junk laptops with Vinux on it and
trying to tell the world that because Vinux is Linux it's more secure
than anything else. Nevermind the fact that they tell you not to update
or limit your updates. That sounds like a pretty big problem to me!

What this boils down to is this: each system and distro has various
steps that need to be taken to make it more secure. You need to be aware
of what you are installing on Linux just as on windows. (I'll note you
totally blew off the mention of Microsoft's app store, also). If you
want security, you do need to configure a sane firewall with good rules
and policies and configure your system to work with your needs. With
perhaps the exception of systems like Arch or the BSD systems, you are
going to have a surface area no matter what you install.