[nfbcs] Sonar or Vinux

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Sun Jul 27 02:20:42 UTC 2014

I just wanted to follow up with this, after a discussion with a friend.
I think one could argue that open source might be more secure because
there are more people that have the potential to actually look at it. On
the otherhand, the mindset of most developers doesn't really support
this, although it is still a pretty valid claim. Most people want to add
their code and be done with it, so you actually end up having to devote
money that is donated to open source to pay people to work on the code
that noone wants to touch. It's how EWIFI got built into the boot code
for BSD, it's how LibreSSL is working now. Conversely, a lot of the
people who will study that code and study it closely are the people who
actually want to exploit it. So, while it may be possible for the code
to be more secure with more eyes, it's somewhat unlikely. Even if this
were the case however, you still have the hardware the code is running
on. I remember an issue a while back with Intel and the NSA, where the
NSA wanted the ability to influence the microcode. Whether or not they
got that is something we'll never know. It's not even really unlikely
that the processor couldn't be injecting instructions or running it's
own instructions while other programs are running. It's more than
possible that the harddrive could hold a buffer and store random data
(whatever it felt like) on unused sectors of the disk. It's even
possible that the compilers we use are flawed; we always compile our
compilers with pre-existing compiled code. So, if the first compiler
were able to inject code into it's binaries, then all compilers
subsequent to that would be infected and a recompilation would just keep
passing along the problem.