[nfbcs] My Opinion and Experiences with Accessibility

Aaron Cannon cannona at fireantproductions.com
Tue Mar 4 18:22:24 UTC 2014

Hi John and all.

The government standards for web accessibility, Section 508, are
unfortunately very out of date.  You are right to be cautious to
recommend them.  They've been working on revising them, but it's going
quite slowly.  However, the last I heard, they were going to largely
adopt the WCAG 2.0 standards.  I'm not sure if that's still the case.

As for automated accessibility testing, I am very wherry.  While such
tools can help identify potential issues, they can and do have
frequent false positives and can also miss many types of issues.
Since good web accessibility is largely an extension of good
usability, and since there is not a realistic means of automatically
testing a site for good usability, I suspect that web accessibility
will be largely a human guided activity for quite some time.

In other words, if a developer doesn't understand how to do
accessibility, an automated tool isn't likely to be of much help.
Where automated tools can be useful is in helping the web
accessibility professional or savvy developer quickly scan for certain
types of issues.  In short, as a time saver.

Aaron