[nfbcs] Innovation, Usability, Accessibility, standards, and legal requirements.

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Wed Mar 5 19:12:30 UTC 2014

Actually I was being purely humorous, not negative at all.

On Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 01:04:33PM -0600, John G. Heim wrote:
It isn't that difficult to generate a good list of the bugs that need
the most attention. The list doesn't have to be perfect to be useful.
Someone might correctly suggest that bug A is more important than bug
B but if bug B gets fixed instead, it's still a good thing. And you
can generate all the fake bug reports you like, it's not going to make
any difference. We're not *that* stupid.

One thing that strikes me about the conversations on this list ...
There sure is a lot of negativism. Practically every idea is met with
the response, "Oh, that will never work." You'd think us blind people
were still using clay tablets. But innovations occur every day that
move us forward. You might argue it's one step forward and two back.
But if that was the case, I wouldn't be here. none of  us would. It
certainly is my impression that things have gotten considerably better
over the past 20 years, not worse. And there is a lot of reason for
hope that the future will be better still.

I think it hurts our cause for so many people to focus so much on the
failures especially when there are so many successes to look at.
Focusing on the failures makes us afraid to try.

On 03/05/14 12:21, Doug Lee wrote:
>Whatever else may be said, I confess there's a certain amusing appeal
>to the concept of a bounty-hunter mentality to open-source bug fixing.
>I can see now, bug reports being submitted by someone nicknamed Boba
>Fett... or would it morph to Boba Git, because of the popular version
>control system? But surely I digress... :-)
>
>On Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 12:04:02PM -0600, John G. Heim wrote:
>At www.iavit.org, we have been contemplating putting a "bounty" on
>certain bugs in orca and nvda. We don't have any money but the idea is
>that you get $50 or $100 for contributing code that fixes a particular
>bug.

SSB BART Group           doug.lee at ssbbartgroup.com   http://www.ssbbartgroup.com
"While they were saying among themselves it cannot be done, it was
done." --Helen Keller