[nfbcs] NVDA product question

Larry Wayland lhwayland at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 3 20:19:27 UTC 2014

Very good suggestion. I've been talking this idea up for years. I am sure
the developers have thought of this plan, I just wonder what keeps them from
following through. Is it that Micro Soft won't work with them, or is it they
are afraid they won't make enough money to stay in business? I think GW
Micro and now AISquaired who now  owns the rights to Window Eyes is doing
something like this with Micro Soft and the Office 10 and above
The deaf people did this with the decoder chip years ago.  They were having
to pay more than a $1000.00 for a machine that would decode the closed
captioning on shows.  Then the chip was, by law, put into all TV sets and
everyone who bought  a TV paid a little of the cost.  The average cost of
the chip was then only 50 cents a TV set.
Cut here.
what if the accessibility vendors contracted with Microsoft or Google or
others and had Jaws or ZoomText or Magic or whatever built into the O/S?
Then the cost could be distributed over the "whole world" ... and those that
didn't need to use the product wouldn't have to turn it on.  The vendors
would get paid a bit differently but perhaps that would help distribute the
software to the masses and it wouldn't cost as much to the end user.  And,
when a student got to a university, for example, the product would already
be there (as a side benefit).