[nfbcs] Fighting spam and abuse

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Nov 7 14:42:40 UTC 2014

John,

First scan your computer to be sure there isn't any malware on it.  Also, try to determine if the spam is being
sent when your computer is off.  If you can find an example of one message that came out when your computer is
off, you can be pretty certain that your computer isn't being used to send the spam.

Look at the message headers of the SPAM and determine if it is coming through your actual account or not.  If it
is, change your email password.  Unfortunately, sometimes message headers are forged and there isn't a lot you can
do about that.  In that case, though, spammers tend to use your email address for a limited time and then move on
to the millions of other addresses they have available, the 56 million from Home Depot for example.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson