[nfbcs] Best way to restore?

Jim Portillo portillo.jim at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 08:54:41 UTC 2014

Hello,

Let me see if I can phrase my questions in the clearest way possible so I
can get the best and most specific answers.

Basically, I had to completely have Windows reinstalled on what I call my
main laptop.  It's been my most stable and best one since 2010 or 2011.  It
runs Windows 7 and Office 2010.  Having had that reinstalled meant that I
also had to reinstall MS Office.

Everything is operational now and running better than ever.  Now comes the
tricky part, and this deals with MS Outlook and email.

Before wiping my computer, I made a PST file containing the email messages
and the various folders I had created with Outlook.  I've done this before
and have had no issues.

Since I knew I wouldn't have my computer for a few weeks during the time my
computer was to be worked on, I've left the important emails I need to keep
or archive on the q.com server so that when I'm ready, I can download those
messages to my computer.  You've probably read that this particular account
I'm working with is not Gmail; rather, it's a pop account that I use for
friends and family.

So, my questions are these.  First, when I reinstall my account details in
Outlook, I know that the mail will automatically download from the server.
When I import my PST file from my hard drive, will all of the mail end up
organizing itself?  In other words, will everything (old and new mail)
appear together?  Is there anything I need to know or beware of when doing
this?  Any help or advice would be appreciated.  Oh, I also have a PST file
with my contacts, and I assume those can just be imported as well.

Basically, I'm trying to be careful, as I don't want to lose the mail I have
or need to archive.

Thanks.

Jim