[nfbcs] [spam] Re: Best way to restore?

George osocalmo at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Nov 25 19:25:03 UTC 2014

Sorry, I should have written Thunderbird.

I started using it some days ago, so I don't feel confident to answer to
all your questions, but I would advise you to try it; it's free and
downloading and installing it is very easy. I will try to answer below,
but please consider that I might be wrong.

1. flag messages so they can be searched out later in a large dbx file
It doesn't use DBX files, but you can set flags, I think, although I have never used them.

2. number the messages so you can jump directly to a message rather than
search or step through a long list
I don't know, but you'd better use the search function: Numbering could change because of incoming messages from multiple accounts.
3. a good and thorough search form that lets you search all the fields --
i.e., OE lets you search for something on the To line but not the CC line,
and so misses many matches.)

Well, I have just tried the search function yesterday and I know that
you can search by title, body of message, the To line, the CC line, the
To and CC lines, message status, etc.

Outlook Express is very old; Thunderbird is much better than the old
Outlook. You'll have a learning curve, though.
The problem I had until some days ago was that I had to navigate through
the Title line, the To line, etc to get to the body of the message, but
later I discovered that I can jump to the body of the message just by
pressing Enter: it opens the message in another window.  When finished,
just press ESC. I'm using it with NVDA.

By the way, Firefox is very good, too, particularly if you have many
links in your bookmark and want to assort them in different folders:
Moving some link from one folder to another or changing its order in the
list is very easy, using the applications key.

HTH