[nfbcs] All-in-One Computers and Screen Readers

George osocalmo at yahoo.co.jp
Wed Feb 4 03:47:38 UTC 2015

Peter,

Never care about rumors of possible trends, just think about what you
want, about your specific needs, about the advantages, disadvantages and
risks.

Yes, notebooks or all-in-one pcs are portable and convenient, but you'll
be in trouble when something breaks. If you want a notebook pc, look for
one with several USB ports, at least.
Once the keyboard of my notebook pc broke and I started using a usb
keyboard instead, otherwise I would have had to send it for repair and
it would have cost me a lot of money.
If the speakers break, you would have to have it repaired or to use USB
speakers.  At last, you will end using many accessories on your notebook
pc, too.
So, if you are not taking your pc everywhere, I would say that a desktop
computer is much easier and cheaper to repair.
As you know, if the speakers of your desktop pc break, you just buy new
ones and change them, the same is true for the mouse, camera, etc.
Generally, desktop pcs are louder and heavierthan notebooks. Notebooks
have batteries, which makes them safer in case of light downs.

I think that this is true for all devices: all-in-one devices are good
until something breaks: when something breaks, you might regret to have
bought them.
But, self phones are all-in-one devices and very convenient.

If you buy a 17-inch notebook, you will probably have the normal
keyboard.  If you buy a 15,6-inch notebook you might get a keyboard
without the number keypad and this is sometimes bothering particularly
for users of screen readers.
Pcs smaller than that might cause us trouble, not only because of the
screen reader, but also because of the operating system, keyboard, etc.

A 17-inch/15-inch Toshiba or DELL might be the best choice in terms of
performance and cost.  DELL pcs seem to be cheaper, but Toshiba pcs also
have good advantages.
I bought a Dell 17-inch notebook (Inspiron 17 5748) with Windows 8.1 and
I'm very happy with it. Just the program DELL Backup and Recovery gave
me some headache at the beginning. Also there's a learn curve from XP to
8.1, but I got used to Win 8.1 in about one month. I use NVDA, Firefox,
Thunderbird, Excel, Word, etc.

HTH