[nfbcs] best computer for a CS student?

Robert Jaquiss rjaquiss at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 23 02:36:47 UTC 2015

Hello Jorge:

     I would suggest checking with the community college and find out what
platforms they are using. You could end up doing work with both Linux and
Windows. Some people have used Macs and then used Vmware to set up Windows
and Linux virtual machines. Of course, you have to have JAWS for the Windows
machine and at least brltty for the Linux machine. The machine you get may
need to last a few years, so I would get the fastest CPU, at least 8 or 16GB
of RAM, a drive that can write blu-ray discs and two hard drives. The
blu-ray writer will let you backup your files. Having two hard drives might
be handy if you wanted to have a drive that you could experiment on without
endangering your main drive. I am a braille reader, and have a BS/CS degree.
I find an 80 cell braille display essential for programming. It helps to be
able to see the indented sections of code. This is especially handy for
Python. I agree with the other comments that it is good to dig into a
language and work on learning it. You are also wise to do freelance work
while in college. This will enhance your resumé. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Robert