[nfbcs] most accessible virus/malware protection?

David Goldfield happycatholic1211 at aol.com
Wed Jan 14 09:33:12 UTC 2015

I'd like to weigh in on this interesting and very important discussion.
Nicole raises a valid point here; an accessible piece of software
doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best piece of software. Please
don't be offended at what I'm about to say because I consider myself in
the same camp but blind people, myself included, are really funny when
it comes to which software we use, particularly on our Windows machines.
We go with what works with our screen readers and not necessarily with
the best choice. Again, when I say blind people I think of myself in
this category. Usually, more often than not, this is out of necessity
and not out of laziness. I remember in the early 2000's when I was
hearing so much about Firefox but those of us using screen readers were
forced to use Internet Explorer. Firefox may have been a cool, awesome
browser but with blind computer users it had 100% of the market share
because, if you're going to use Windows with a screen reader, IE was the
only game in town at that time. In the late 1990's I remember what a
pleasure it was to use Norton Antivirus on my Windows 98 machine as it
was totally accessible, menu bar and all. As Norton began to morph into
a Web page type interface, I and probably lots of other blind people
discovered AVG, which was amazing when it came to accessibility. Not
only did version 7.5 have standard controls and a menu bar but it even
had the ability to redefine all of its hotkeys. I didn't actually know
if the program was highly rated but I used it because it was highly
accessible. Version 8 of AVG removed the ability to redefine hotkeys
and, while the UI changed, it was still 99.9% accessible. However, as
the program became more difficult to use with my screen reader, I and,
from what I remember, every other blind person discovered Avast. It was,
for the most part, fairly accessible but, at one point, a new version
came out which I believe was version 5 and accessibility was gone. While
they promised accessibility would return, I refused to keep using 4.7
and promptly removed it. Now, the majority of blind people, myself
included, seem to be gravitating toward Microsoft Security Essentials.
At one point, the program seemed to be received favorably but it has
failed virus tests and has gotten some very bad press. I hesitate to
recommend it to most people. I admit I use it but I'm also a very
cautious, security-conscious user and, between my script blockers, ad
blocker and my own cautiousness I've never been hit with malware while
using MSE. The point is that most of us, at least many of us, tend to
gravitate toward pieces of software which are screen reader friendly
rather than trying to work with the most highly-rated packages which
might not work with JAWS, NVDA, Window-Eyes or Supernova.
This is an issue I've thought about for some time and I think that some
proactive work and activism are in order and this is an area I'd like to
see the NFB take the lead with. First, we as blind people need to
collectively contact the manufacturers of software we want to use and
let them know about the problems and accessibility issues which we are
experiencing with their software. I try to do this when I can but I
admit that, when it comes to security software, I'm just as guilty as
anyone else of installing what works with my screen reader and being
thankful that I have at least one piece of security software that
actually talks to me. I have engaged in my own activism, however, and
sometimes it can be effective. With the case of Malwarebytes, I
contacted them via their online forum. Online forums are, in my opinion,
a very useful tool to politely inform a software vendor about
accessibility problems because your message, being in a public forum for
everyone to see, sometimes forces them to respond because a company
doesn't want to be seen ignoring its users. Also, it not only educates
them about the issues you're having but it makes other people aware of
them as well. While I'm sure I wasn't the only reason or even the main
reason for this, MalwareBytes, while not perfect, is now reasonably
accessible with screen readers. Was my message primarily responsible for
this? Probably not, if I'm going to be realistic about it but it may
have lit a bit more of a fire under the company to move on the issue.
I'd also like to see the NFB Assistive Technology Blog or AFB's Access
world conduct usability reviews of the top security programs, such as
AVG, Avast, MalwareBytes, AdAware, etc. Mainstream magazines conduct
annual reviews of security software and rate them on how well they catch
viruses, clean up an infected system, the speed of the scans, etc. We
need to conduct similar reviews on these packages such as how keyboard
friendly are they, accessibility of the settings dialog boxes, etc,
providing another way of holding the companies accountable for their
product's shortcomings and at the same time informing both them and
potential users about products which we should use and support.
I admit that most of us, myself included, don't have the resources to
use an isolated computer with a variety of packages to compose product
reviews. However, what we can all do as individuals is to contact
vendors of these packages and let them know what our issues are. You can
do so privately or via an online forum, which is an approach I prefer to
use for reasons I've already stated. One thing that I do is to offer my
services to them volunteering to provide beta testing for them for the
purpose of providing accessibility-related feedback. I hope this message
might be of some help to those who are struggling with using an
inaccessible or partially accessible piece of software. As I'm not a
person who hands out lots of good-sounding advice and does nothing about
it, I would like to offer my services if I can assist any of you in this
endeavor.

Feel free to visit my new Web site
http://www.DavidGoldfield.info

Feel free to visit my LinkedIn profile
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-goldfield/12/929/573

Visit my blog
http://davidgoldfield.wordpress.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://www.twitter.com/davidgoldfield

         David Goldfield,
        Founder and Peer Coordinator

    Philadelphia Computer Users' Group for the Blind and Visually Impaired
To learn more about the users' group, visit
http://davidgoldfield.wordpress.com/2014/04/20/updated-faqphiladelphia-computer-users-group-for-the-blind-and-visually-impaired/