[nfbcs] Using eclipse with JAWS

Graham Mehl blind at trailstone.com
Sat Jan 24 13:55:42 UTC 2015

Hi all,

As you may recall from past posts I have made to this list I have had some
difficulties at work. I am still struggling in a number of areas, but I am
inching along in progress. With many inovative ideaas and some  minimal
helpI have developed some crude work arounds. Since my last post the update
on my limited vision is now gone. Doctors are trying to recover the vision
but basically my eye is dying. So all the skills the NFB and you all have
taught me are getting thrown into high gear. But I am straying. Now that I
have some kind of working environment I can develop software. I am working
on a remote desktop running windows 7 and JAWS 15. I am developing using
java 8 within eclipse. I probably do not know all the hot keys I need to, to
help me navigate around quickly, but I am learning. There are a couple
things that are slowing me down that I hope some of you can provide
suggestions for me to improve on.

1. I am still not use to high rates of speech on JAWS, which is a definite
plus. However as many of you may know programming languages are not in
english terms. So do you all use a high rate of speech to read code or do
you reduce it to read code?

2. Java standards particularly regarding variable names are written in camel
case. - meaning take two english words and merge them into one word to make
a variable name. however the first letter of the second word is
acapitalized. Is there a setting in JAWS that I am missing that will tell me
capital letters? I work with other  software engineers so if I work in their
code, I need to know the spelling and capitalization because otherwise the
code will not compile.

3. Fixing errors - from my experience most developers do not write clean
code the firs time. Once I identify a line of code that has an error in it
and navigate to the spot the error starts How can I quickly identify the
error and fix it.   Let me explain. For those with some vision, if an error
occurs a visual underline appears under the word or group of words forming
the error. And if you mouse over it a tool tip appears providing details of
the error. For those blind I can best describe this as in Microsoft word or
outlook if a word is misspelled the JAWS software speaks "misspelled" and
the word. In Eclipse instead of speaking "misspelled" it says "invalid" This
is not very helpful. Is there any way for me to select the "invalid" string
and get a message like the tool tip to be spoken?

 Thanks for any help you can provide.