[nfbcs] Labeling HTML Elements in JAWS

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 17:47:22 UTC 2015

Try setting the label with aria-label attribute like this:

<button aria-label="Close" onclick="myDialog.close()">X</button>

JAWS should now read the button with the word "close" and not the word "X".

Commonwealth Braille & Talking Book Cooperative
Greg Kearney, General Manager
#320, 185-911 Yates Street
Victoria, BC V8V 4Y9
CANADA