[nfbcs] refurbished computers for blind people

Elizabeth Campbell batescampbell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 13:28:43 UTC 2015

Hello Suzie,

Sorry to chime in so late on this thread. The organization is called
Computers for the Blind, and recently, the executive director Dave Jeppson
came to our chapter meeting to update us about the program. I think
Computers for the Blind is a good option for those who need a computer, but
be aware that the machines don't come with software like Outlook and
Microsoft Office. The computers are running Windows 7 and also come with
NVDA installed. I can't remember if there is also a trial version of JAWS
included.
Dave told us that he would like to expand and provide iPads, iPhones and the
like but that the equipment is more expensive and more difficult to come by.
Computers for the Blind obtains donated computers and then refurbishes them.

Hope this helps.

Liz