[nfbcs] certificates vs. assosiates vs. bachelors

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Wed Mar 11 22:12:13 UTC 2015

Obviously the Assosiates and the Bachelors take more time then the
certificate and they are more traditional but also, a lot of the time,
specially for 4-year degrees are spent fulfilling General Education
requirements which have no impact on your Computer Science curriculum or
your performance in computer-related and/or job related functions so I was
wondering if the time was really counted?

Yes, however, these are opportunities that you most likely are not going to
get again. Some of the "not computer" stuff you do actually need, such as
writing. Just because you will be doing computer work does not mean that you
will not be writing. No, not exactly the same type of writing that you will
do in college, but you will be able to apply what you learned. Also, some of
the things you learn, such as being required to research both sides on a
persuasive essay, will teach you to view life differently. Finally, as for
the other educational requirements, especially the ones where you can
choose, think of it as an opportunity. Once you start work, I doubt that you
will have the time or resources to learn the things that you could have
learned in college. Just my $0.02.

Nicole