[nfbcs] FW: compiling iPhone apps to Android apps

Joseph C. Lininger devnull-nfbcs at pcdesk.net
Wed Mar 25 18:04:04 UTC 2015

The article makes some good points, specifically the thing about
cross-platform development and the use of different development
environments. It's not always a straight forward problem. I don't
develop mobile apps, but I've written code that I wanted to run on, say,
Linux and Windows for instance and even simple software can present a
challenge there.

It makes another good point though, at the very beginning of the
article, although it tries to gloss over it. Without going into actual
numbers which are certain to be wrong anyway, I'll just say that
excluding either the Android or the Apple community severely limits the
audience for your app. Perhaps in the case of the NFB app specifically,
it doesn't matter that much since I've noticed most of the NFB members I
know use an apple device. However, in the general case that's not a
guarantee. In fact, it's not even a garantee in the blind community. I'm
not part of the federation, but I am a blind mobile user. I carry an
Android device myself, and have no interest in changing devices.

As an interesting side note, some of the Apple users I know can get
downright annoying about trying to talk me into switching smart phones
and/or buying a MAC. (It's something that happens with both blind and
sighted people) It's gotten bad enough I've had to start preempting
people by saying "not interested", more or less politely, when they
first get started. Makes people mad, but saves me at least 10 minutes
worth of time that I don't have to spend pretending to listen. LOL
Joe