[nfbcs] IPMI

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Thu May 7 18:52:53 UTC 2015

	Hello.  The web GUI on many IPMI boards is marginally accessible to
very accessible.  However, there is a command line tool called, ipmitool,
which you can run from Linux or from the console window of a Windows
machine that gives you full access to the IPMI board in terms of allowing
you to power cycle the machine, change the boot media, etc.  Depending on
the IPMI board you have, you can also do neat tricks like boot the target
machine from a cd in your local Windows drive or from an ISO image on your
hard drive.  I've never used that particular functionality on the various
IPMI boards I've used, however, so can't say how accessible that portion
is.  With that said, though, I love IPMI capable boards and, assuming
you're familiar with the various ways of boot strapping your favorite
operating systems, it is possible to take a machine from the packing crate
to full production without having to use someone's eyes to get at it at
all.

-thanks
-Brian