[nfbcs] any experience with JAWES and open office

Graham Mehl blind at trailstone.com
Sat May 30 02:37:22 UTC 2015

Hi All,

Thank you for your feedback Thus far. It is most appreciated. Regarding the
comments on my new computer - I forgot to mention it is a laptop.  I am
going away for a few months to take some training, so I need a portable
computer. I have been looking to build a heavy duty server with RAIDed
drives. But just never could scrape the money together to support that. I
was looking for a large hard drive, because I am looking to stand up a small
virtual linux box on the laptop to allow me to do some basic web hosting
testing and software development. I definitely will consider increaseing my
RAM from 8 GB to 16 GB.

As for the JAWS and open office question I posed - If anyone else has
comments please let me know. I have heard of Libra. It is my understanding
that Open Office supports that only use the .doc extensions. Where Libra
supports the .docx extensions. I have a couple concerns with getting Libra -
the first being the accessibility; next is the usability; next, I am just
starting out to learn JAWS, so I do not want to try to learn too many things
at the same time. I will be learning JAWS and Windows 8. Do I really want to
also learn open office. And the last point is Not only for home use
knowledge, but I need to learn how to use the MS Office suite for employment
purposes. Most employers I have come across do not use open office (at least
federal governement and contractors with the dovernment type of employers).
Yes, I have considered the MS Office 360 subscription route. I am not always
going to have Internet connectivity. Plus, In the long run, I will be paying
more for the use of the Office suite then just buying the product out right.
This reason alone, is why many people are moving to open office and Libra
from what I have been told. The comment about laptop video drivers was good
to know, and will see if I can checkthat.

 -- Graham

blind at trailstone.com