[nfbcs] 3D Printing

rjaquiss rjaquiss at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 1 16:14:40 UTC 2016

Hello:

     There two hurtles a B/VI person faces when wanting to design a 3d object:
1. CAD software. CAD (Computer Aided Design) is the type of software used to design objects. AutoCad and SolidWorks are two well known examples. These packages require a user to use a mouse or other drawing device to draw the object. They are visual in nature and are essentially inaccessible. There is one exception, OpenScad. This package uses what can be described as a cross between set theory, geometry and programming to describe an object. A blind person can write OpenScad code, compile it and generate an STL file that can be process by a 3d printer. Having created some simple objects, I can attest that while possible, designing an object with OpenScan is quite difficult. A sighted person must look at the screen or the object has to be printed in order for a blind person to know if his/her design worked.
2. 3d printer control software. Each 3d printer comes with software for reading files and sending the information to the 3d printer. This software is different for each make of printer. The MakerBot software requires the user to visually position the object to be printed on a grid that represents the printer's bed. I was able using ALT to create a few commands that gave me very limited access to the MakerBot. I would not call the approach very usable.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Robert

Robert Jaquiss
Tactile Graphics Solutions LLC.
Email: rjaquiss at earthlink.net
*** Specializing in computerized production of tactile graphics, ALT development, technology assessments, product evaluations and web site certification. ***