[nfbcs] Advice for presentation - Pair Programming for blindand low vision developers

david hertweck david.hertweck at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 19 01:09:08 UTC 2016

Now that I am off my phone and back to my computer, I would like to offer
the following.
First I have vision to see the location of the curser and the location of
the text but can not read the text.
Magnification  only helps me with text location,  I use JAWS for reading the
source code.

These things have worked for me.
1. pair programming
A. Each person works in the same room or at the same table using separate
workstations.  In this way you can use the accessibility tool independently
from your partners.  With JAWS I use an ear bud so my partner is not
bothered.
b.  Divide the tasks up each person creats blocks of code and another person
combines the code.
c. When talking about code with your partner talk about it using line
numbers IE "line 109 I think needs to change"
D. For all sighted or not, paired programming works the best if all people
adhear to a common coding standered.  This creates uniformed code making
comunication of ideas share a common base.
E. If in a larger group and code is displayed up on a large screen as in a
meeting room.  Find a way to use your workstation and follow along with your
version of the code.

2. Code reviews
a. most of the compare / diff software packages I have used are user
configurable to sho the dif in different ways.  If you can not see colors
maybe you can use colors that appear to you as different shades.  Another
idea if you can see fonts have the dif display in different fonts.
B. Review the code changes before meeting and take notes ahead of time.  IE
if you review the code and you see a problem or have questions take a note
and then bring these things up at the meeting.
C. we did large group code reviews for years but found individual  code
reviews followed by a meeting is much more affective in finding problems.
D. another tool you can use to help in code reviews is a static code
analysis package, the results of this analysis can then be reviewed at the
meeting.  I have found these tool to be accessable.