[nfbcs] Fwd: Collecting Information for Microsoft's new CAO

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Fri Feb 19 18:30:09 UTC 2016

Microsoft access has a long-standing accessibility bug with the forms
designer.  Blind people (no useable vision) using forms only have the
plain form as an option since all of the other controls in the forms
designer require real mouse action to manipulate them keyboards cannot
be used.
Both word and excel do not announce colors when using the color
selectors in the menus for cells in excel and I never did find out what
color selection could be used for in word.  Colored tiles get
highlighted but not announced with a screen reader.  This one effects
people with color blindness as well as total blindness and may impact
visually impaired people as well.

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016, Jeanine Lineback via nfbcs wrote:

> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 13:19:19
> From: Jeanine Lineback via nfbcs <nfbcs at nfbnet.org>
> To: ljmaher at swbell.net
> Cc: Jeanine Lineback <jeanine.lineback at gmail.com>,
>     List for teachers and trainers of adaptive technology
>     <trainer-talk at nfbnet.org>,
> Subject: Re: [nfbcs] Fwd: Collecting Information for Microsoft's new CAO
>
> Thank you Lewis,
> I will pass along the information. If anyone else has more please email it as soon as you can. Thank you!
>
> Dictated on an iPhone.
>
>> On Feb 19, 2016, at 12:09 PM, Louis Maher <ljmaher at swbell.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Two accessibility issues appeared in Office 2013, and they are not fixed in
>> Office 2016.
>>
>> First, The dialogue for printing an envelope is inaccessible.  For Example,
>> open up a word document containing an address for a single envelope.  Select
>> the address in the Word document.  Hit alt to go to the ribbon, right arrow
>> to the mailings tab.  Down arrow to the envelopes option.  Hit enter.  The
>> address you selected will appear in the address field, and a return address
>> will appear in the return address field if you set a default value.  You
>> cannot see the contents of these fields.  If you type into these fields, you
>> cannot see what you typed.
>>
>> Problem two, the signature field.  In Outlook's inbox, hit alt + f, then
>> arrow up to options, hit enter, arrow to the mail tab, tab to the signature
>> dialog, and you will find that the signature edit field cannot be seen.
>>
>> I am using Windows 10, Office 2016, JAWS 17.0.377 and NVDA 15.4.
>>
>> I believe that the bit-locker encryption dialog is inaccessible; however, I
>> cannot test that on my current machine since I might make my disk
>> unreachable.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>> Regards
>> Louis Maher