[nfbcs] Advice for presentation - Pair Programming for blind and low vision developers

Currin, Kevin kwcurrin at email.unc.edu
Sat Feb 20 15:45:21 UTC 2016

Hi Louis,

I've been thinking a lot about global access to code structure by screen readers since reading your email. I wonder how much pair programming would be aided if there were editor add ons that could make a screen reader give general statistics about a document (or the currently visible page). For example, this add on could say how many functions or other types of code blocks are on a page (or entire document), report the presence of text with different formatting, and allow quick navigation to such features. Edsharp already has commands for moving between code blocks, but to my knowledge it does not support general descriptive statistics of a document. This functionality could be written as an Edsharp add on though.

Is this something that soulds like it would be helpful in a group setting? Also, is this already implemented in other editors that I am unaware of?

Thanks,

Kevin