[nfbcs] Fwd.: Collecting Information for Microsoft's new CAO

Vincent Martin vincent.martin at gatech.edu
Sat Feb 20 19:02:13 UTC 2016

This is a design and integration issue. The goal is to have access to the
operating system and to the applications.  If the principles of universal
design were more closely followed, this would be less of an issue anyway.
Many things that any third party screen reader does, should be a part of the
system.  I would love a super functioning  screen reader that really worked,
but productivity and effectiveness would be greatly enhanced with the access
as a part of the system as a self-voicing access feature.  Home Page Reader
worked better on the Internet than any screen reader did, as it was a
self-voicing browser and not a screen reader.
Microsoft can't make their operating system only work with their screen
reading system, as that is a violation of the Sherman Anti-trust Act.  Apple
does not preclude anyone else from creating a screen reader for their
platform, there just isn't anyone that thinks they will make enough money by
doing so.  Novell is now called Micro focus and does anyone even know what
they do?  When Microsoft added networking to their operating system, people
did not get upset that Novell basically lost their business, they just
pulled out more Ethernet cable off the roll and linked more machines
together. There are some things that Microsoft could do to make their
operating system even less vulnerable to hacking, viruses, and worms, but
they are not legally allowed to do so.
I have served on both sides of many legal debates concerning access or lack
thereof.  Many times, the organization, company, or institution really has
not followed the law, while other times, the issue is a training or even a
Cognitive Load and Working Memory issue.  The clauses 'ease of use" and
"reasonable accommodations" are debated all the times behind doors and that
is how I get many companies to settle lawsuits out of court.  I also show
them where they would win in or out of court, but they really did not do
what they should have done.  My NDA's preclude me from saying too much about
any case, but there are times when the company has been recommended to "pay
off" the parties as they just screwed up.  I had a case about a year and a
half ago, where the applications developed were accessible, but turned out
to be not useable.  Instead of fixing the problem, which would  have cost
over five million dollars, it was easier to give the employees involved
$50,000 bonuses to be put into their 401k accounts and re-assign them to new
jobs.