[nfbcs] Computer Science Career Questions

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Jan 5 13:02:22 UTC 2016

Hi Robert.
Re remote solutions, Citrix is a bear.  Whatever screen access software you
use has to be installed on the Citrix server, if you can get the powers that
be to do that.  And, if there are 2 jumps involved, from 1 server to
another, it just plain won't work.
However, I have used TeamViewer to work with someone fixing my PC, and that
works fine.  It seems like a simple web interface.  But then, I wasn't
controlling things, just hanging out listening to the Helpdesk person
operate my PC.

I went back to school to get programmer training, similar to what you are
considering.  I chose a certificate program, as I was not eager to spend
another 4 years in school.  It worked very well for me, but that was 28
years ago now.
I echo what someone else said.  When my managers hire a new person, they not
only want someone with the requisite skills, but also someone with good
communication skills, and who will work well with the rest of the team.
They also value people who can work without a lot of supervision.
You seem to communicate well, judging by your emails, and just the fact that
you've been learning on your own already is a plus.
Good luck.
Tracy